Monday, March 10, 2008

Once upon a time

It's been five months since I've started down this path that I now find myself on. If I step back and look at things I wonder how on earth did I get here, and how on earth did that become this. It's amazing the shift that has occurred in this relationship that I am in. The night I met my guy, I had absolutely no romantic interest in him. I found talking to him interesting, his life experiences, but that was where it ended. Yet, at the end of the night, I found myself in an awkward place. Him asking me for my number, and me not at all inclined to provide it. This is where the problem lies. I felt exceedingly guilty for telling him no, so always aiming to please, I told my friend (whose house we met at) that he could give him my number. So a couple of weeks later, precisely mid-move into my first house, he called. I truly was busy, completely preoccupied, and above all still not interested. But fearing the abuse of our mutual friend, I returned his call... several days later. To the unbiased outsider, it appeared that I was playing hard to get. That notoriously female role that I don't at all subscribe to. No, I was not playing hard to get. I still was not convinced that this was anything worth pursuing, but I agreed to meet him for drinks anyway. That night I became more and more convinced that he had no romantic interest in me. What guy discusses the people that he is dating while on a date? That was a first for me, and I was completely ready to kiss this one goodbye. But as we were heading out to the car, he did something that I still remember vividly. He grabbed me around the waist, pulled me towards him, and kissed me. At that moment, my eyes were opened.

2 comments:

Scotty said...

I felt exceedingly guilty for telling him no
This almost makes me think you are with him to please your friend (where you met I guess?).

Megan said...

If this is the man that meets all the expectations you have set for a significant other, then I will support you because you are my friend.

If this guy sweeps you off your feet and thinking of him makes you giddy, then I will support you because you are my friend.

If this guy makes you happy and is the ying to your yang, the frick to your frack, the Ricky to you Lucy, then I will support you because you are my friend.

I will not say another unkind word about the matter if you are happy.

But I first I have to ask you...are you happy?

M