Thursday, March 6, 2008

God's chosen people

Flashback to Saturday night... Poker Night. This was held at a friend of a friend's house. If you remember, my friend that invited me along was trying to introduce me to new people, especially those of the single, male variety. While I have been dating the same socially inept guy for five months now, I still am open to meeting single guys. As I have mentioned to my friends, he is not my boyfriend. I wouldn't call him that, so no one else should either. I AM A FREE WOMAN... sort of.

So, I'm milling about the house Saturday night, new faces coming and going, when finally I'm introduced to the host. My friend has mentioned him several times especially in a sales-pitch manner. My first thought was this is a guy I could be interested in... he has those blue eyes that I'm such a fan of, a great smile, very outgoing personality, fun-loving guy, seems very successful, great house. What more can a girl ask for? Being the host of a large poker gathering, apparently he had many things to attend to, and most unfortunate for me, I wasn't seated at his table, so there really wasn't much (read any) time for chit chat until much later into the evening. Also unfortunate for me that freed me up to meeting stalker 1 and 2.

As the evening ran down, I found myself trying to cross his path more often. And by the end of the night, I was very slow to leave, which made me one of the final guests standing outside sharing a few parting words with him. I felt desperate to get his attention, but didn't want to appear desperate... very tricky. In the end, my friend and I left without a major breakthrough. I was to remain somewhat a woman of mystery. As my friend was driving me home, I starting thinking aloud how I found some of his friends quite interesting, which led to him inquiring as to which ones. I was about to pronounce that I was oddly fascinated by the host, which could result in my friend crossing our paths again, when I stopped and thought what's the point.

You see, many of the gatherers that evening were Jewish. And one thing that I took away from that evening is the glaring fact that I do not have a single Jewish person in my life. This is not by design by any means, I just haven't crossed paths with any that stuck with me. It probably goes without saying, but you have probably already assumed (correctly) that I am not a Jew. So what is the significance of all of this? The host is. Now, why forge a relationship or even attempt one, when deep down, I know it would never work long term. Why put my heart on the line, when I know it will just wind up broken in the end? The eternal optimist right now is saying you never know. It could work, somehow. I've actually had SATC delusions about pulling a Charlotte and converting for the man of my dreams. And as long as we're in fantasyland, why not? Clearly it's too early in this non-relationship to have such philosophical debates, but I really don't want to let Mr. Right pass me by either without my giving him a second glance. Perhaps I won't let this little complication get in my way just yet. After all I still have major issues, such as my non-boyfriend, complicating my dating life.

No comments: