Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The American Physique

Fat America. Our reputation proceeds us worldwide. In any public forum, you see it. It's widespread, it's rampant, and there's no denying it. Obesity is a serious problem in this country, which really makes light of my rant from yesterday. No matter how the definition is spun, I don't think it's possible for me under any circumstance to be classified as such... currently. But that doesn't stop me from feeling like a beached whale as my size 2 pants felt overly snug on my ballooning ass and thighs today. I was miserable today as I was stuck at the office all day unable to slip into my elasticized pajama pants and oversized T-shirt. It doesn't help that, in spite of yesterday's rant, I still ate a small handful of girl scout cookies for breakfast. You can see I'm trying hard to regain control of my weight. What's my problem? Why can't I be happy with a comfortable size 4? Flashback to Sunday night.

I went to a concert with a friend, which meant I was out with the people. Not that this is a rare event, but a large number of people in a concentrated space will inevitably lead to some interesting people watching. As I began to notice those around me, I saw too many women wearing articles of clothing that were entirely inappropriate for their bodies, which only drew my attention to their imperfections. Horrible I know, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice. The two women sitting immediately in front of me were another prime example. I often wonder how people their size fit in the seats of such public arenas. Somehow they wedged themselves into their seats and looked completely uncomfortable the entire time they were seated. Now, I don't say this to mock or demean these people. I say this because I often wonder how people wind up 50, 100 or more pounds overweight. It doesn't happen overnight, and it doesn't happen on purpose. Yet, somehow it does happen, and I often think these people wake up one day and don't recognize themselves and don't know where to begin or have the strength or courage or support to begin. It's sad, and it makes me want to shake these people and get them to break this vicious cycle.

So what does this have to do with me and my size 2 skinny ass ranting self? I have this fear, that one day I too will wake up and look in the mirror and not recognize myself. I think left to my lazy ways, I'd inevitably gain that 50 pounds or more, which is why when I get to feeling the way I've been feeling lately, I rant and then take action. Tonight, I got off my ass finally and dusted off the treadmill. It felt great. The runner's high hit me afterwards, and I felt absolutely fantastic. So my strategy to keep this up? Not sure yet, but I am breaking this girl scout cookies for breakfast habit now!

No comments: