As I was road-tripping out of town last Friday night, I noticed a bright light in the sky in front of me. I was debating whether or not I was seeing a plane or a star or even possibly a UFO. When the light stayed in one place, I ruled out plane, and being of sound mind, I pretty much declared not a UFO either. That left star, and then I thought, duh... It's bright, it's constant, it's practically the first star in the sky... must be the North Star. And then I remembered... I was heading south.
We're always told not to judge a book by its cover. I must admit that I am frequently sucked in by eye candy. We're so conditioned to immediate, rapid response that we can't be bothered to open the cover and read the inside flap. I try to restrict my shortsightedness to the retail world, but every now and then, it bites me in everyday social interaction. I believe this is why I was so quick to leave my new acquaintance empty-handed on that oh-so fateful night many moons ago.
I was not immediately drawn to him. He was on the short side (still taller than me I might add), thin, and didn't ooze masculinity. I have very traditional views on male and female roles, and he didn't scream protector, provider to me at all, which is really funny because if someone tried to tell me that a woman's place is barefoot in the kitchen, I would tell them precisely where they could shove it. But against my instinct I went out with him. And then I went out with him again. And might I mention again?
He worked hard just to see me those first weeks. You might say that he chased me early on, but I'd hate to use such a trite phrase to describe the situation. It implies my disinterest, which was certainly not the case. I liken the situation to that age-old remark... A beautiful person, the better you know them, may become more and more unattractive. An "ugly" person, the better you know them may become more and more beautiful. I pause to use the term "ugly" here... that's something he's made me very aware of. It's a horrible thing to say about something that's completely out of someone's control... (please ignore the hoards of plastic surgeons standing in line to perform the next extreme makeover) Now, I am not implying that he's unattractive, just that I was so willing to throw this one away because the cover wasn't exactly what I was looking for right there, right then. Have I mentioned yet the charming, Southern gentleman that I had met the day before that still had me swooning that following evening? So, while I inadvertently made him chase me, I will openly admit it wasn't long before I was completely smitten.
No comments:
Post a Comment