This is my strategy, my new 'lifestyle change' to kick me into high gear... well combine that with some good old fashioned working out. I've been reading the book diligently. The Paleo Diet... essentially as much as you'd like of lean meats, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. No grains, no dairy, no processed foods. I already tend towards this way of eating. Perhaps it has everything to do with my thirty-something body, but nowadays, my ability to tolerate a lot of bread or dairy in my diet has been nil. This really does suck, because I do love a nice slice of pizza, some decadent ice cream, and cheese in general is one of my favorite treats with a glass of wine. No more! Well, no more, unless it's for one of my 'open meals.' Yeah, I'll still treat myself every now and then, it's one of the keys to sustainability. But I suspect, the better I feel without those foods in my diet, the more likely I will continue to avoid them.
So for example, my day yesterday...
Breakfast: chicken and apple sausage with sauteed squash and zucchini, half avocado
Lunch: salad* with leftover peppercorn pork tenderloin, half avocado
Snacks: banana, Lara bar
Dinner: Italian inspired baked chicken tenders*, steamed broccoli, cantelope
* So technically, the light champagne vinagrette I used on my salad is not part of the diet. And technically, the panko bread crumbs and parmesan I used on the chicken tenders are not part of the diet. But I think I did quite well. I'm not going to take this too seriously. Maybe over time, the little *'s will disappear from my menus. I figure the more I write down, the more accountable to myself I'll be.
My workout yesterday...
30 minute leg and ab workout with trainer
4000m row (20 min)
2.25mi bike (10 min)
Days til 'I do'... 94
1 comment:
From looking at your menu it looks like you are afraid of fat. Saturated fat is VERY paleo. Don't be fooled by one author that twisted the facts to make his variation on the diet more politically acceptable back when it was published in 2002. In no way is a true paleo diet lean meat. They ate the entire animal. They ate all the fat, the organs, and the bone marrow. Cordain makes the silly assumption that like us they only ate the muscle meat and threw away everything else. Ignoring that our taste buds find fat to be tasty.
It has never been proven that high intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol are detrimental to our health. The American Heart Association bases their "low-fat" prescription off of five studies:
(1) The first one was Ancel Keys study done in the 70's that generated "The Lipid Hypothesis" which argues that eating saturated fat and cholesterol give you high cholesterol, and high cholesterol gives you heart disease... totally bogus, and debunked numerous times. The debunking is best explained in Gary Taubes's "Good Calories, Bad Calories." [Basically he had data from 21 more countries but he cherry picked the seven countries that showed what he wanted to show.]
(2) The Los Angeles VA Hospital Study (1969): Researchers didn't collect data regarding smoking habits for some men, and stated later that half the participants strayed from the prescribed diet.
(3) The Oslo Diet-Heart Study (1970); basically proved nothing regarding deaths from heart disease and a low fat diet.
(4) The Finnish Mental Hospital Study (1979): almost half of the participants either left or joined half way through the 12 year study.
(5) The St. Thomas' Atherosclerosis Regression Study (1992): 74 men showed a reduction in heart disease by those who ate diets low in saturated fat... but they were also required to eat less sugar. Since the message needed to be "saturated fat bad" that little detail is often left out.
Let me sum it up: Cholesterol doesn’t lead to heart problems. Cholesterol is absolutely essential to good health. A major factor is the small dense LDL particles that cause problems.
For a more complete definition of the diet see Paleo diet explained.
Post a Comment