Saturday, October 25, 2008

Scary moment

Last night was one of my traditional quiet Friday nights. As I prepare for this marathon, Saturday mornings have been starting with pre-dawn long runs, so Friday is general pretty lame and early to bed. If I venture out at all, it's usually running a quick errand here or there, maybe grabbing dinner with a friend, but that's about it. Last night wasn't much of an exception. I was out on one of those errands, when I decided to stop in a nearby home goods store. I've been in my house for a year, and am still struggling with decorating it. I go into this type of store often, looking for inspiration, and generally leave empty-handed. Last night wasn't much different.

As I was checking out (I bought some wine glasses, can never have too many of those), I was admiring a chair that was nearby. It was black and white hounds-tooth. Very cute, very stylish, but generally didn't match my decor, as if that should stop me. I was talking to the cashier about it, and thought (out loud) that perhaps it just might match my guest bedroom decor, which of course meant my cat would take to sleeping in said new chair. As soon as I said it, I wish I hadn't. It triggered this out of body experience, and forced me to look at myself as this woman would have seen me. This is what she would have seen... crazy cat lady frump girl. Yes that was me last night. I'm embarrassed to admit it.

So had you been there too, this is what you would have seen. Me, in all my unmade up self. I had my hair in a ponytail, and most of the morning's makeup had been wiped away. I was wearing my absolute favorite, should probably be barred from ever leaving the house again, probably in need of a good washing, oversized college sweatshirt, a pair of workout pants that I had in fact slept in the night before, and a pair of flip flops. At least I wasn't wearing house slippers! In my defense, I had been experiencing laundry issues. My washer and dryer were on the fritz, so my wardrobe options were limited. And it was one of the first chilly evenings of the fall, so I was still adapting to dressing for cool weather.

I've often thought at times like this, who am I trying to impress. No one. I'm out running errands, not looking to pick up men. But I realize that I still care about people's perception of me. I've gone out and acquired over 100 lbs of dogs to prove to the world that despite being single, I am not a crazy cat lady. And yet, one misstep out the door last night, and my appearance screams sad, single crazy cat lady. It was indeed a scary moment. I think this moment has triggered in me a need to evolve. I have the new washer and dryer installed and ready to go. Wardrobe malfunctions are a thing of the past! I think I'll go shopping and pick up some uber-feminine new clothes for the fall. Retail therapy is always a good idea. I may be single, but I'd rather be fabulous and single any day. Maybe I'll even pick up a chic, rhinestone collar for the cat.

No comments: