Clutter, clutter everywhere and not a drop to drink... oh wait, that's water. Ever notice how you can't think clearly when there's chaos around you? That's precisely me. I used to think I was an organized slob. My desk at the office was always layers upon layers of scattered paper, and if someone asked me a question about something, I knew exactly which pile to forage through and how deep I needed delve. Well, something must have happened on the way to the forum, because nowadays, clutter is my worst enemy. When surrounded by a mess, I lose focus, productivity, and motivation. I get so distracted at times, that I'm almost paralyzed. Perhaps this is what leads to what I like to call my slothiness. It always seems as though there are endless closets to clean out, never ending chores to be done, and countless unfinished projects. How can you move forward by leaps and bounds with all this crap weighing you down? That's where I feel like I am now. Wanting desperately to move forward and make progress, but perpetually hindered by this clutter.
I can remember when I was in grad school (for the record not all that long ago) whenever I was faced with a serious deadline, be it an exam or paper, my apartment always got really clean. It's like I couldn't get started studying or writing before everything was put away and in its proper place. (Perhaps this is another argument to go back to school, yet again.) The difference is back then the cleaning frenzy was mostly an act of procrastination, once everything was in place there was nothing else to distract me. Now, it needs to be a conscious, deliberate act to free myself from this mess. I am finding that the more I do, the more inspired I am to accomplish more things and the more at peace I am with my surroundings.
So, that being said, it's time to have a heyday on craigslist. Clutter be gone, once and for all!
No comments:
Post a Comment