And I'm not talking about the fluffy white stuff you put atop your favorite cupcakes. No I'm talking about sitting stationary with a bag of some frozen substance (I prefer peas over the traditional cube) placed over the aching body part du jour for extended periods of time.
Now, lets step back a minute and discuss this activity in general. I hate it. Especially when it's 30-something degrees outdoors, and I'm struggling to get warm and cozy inside. But ask any athlete or athletic supporter (haha... the age-old joke from Grease), and they swear by it. In preparation for the big race, I have decided this is a necessary evil and have begun icing with zest.
I swear my dogs have a sixth sense about these things and know the precise moment that I'm most immobile. Because it seems as soon as I get the ice pack strategically positioned and the numbing begins, one of them casually strolls to the door. Rising and walking is a challenge at this point. The muscles and joints are beyond stiff. It feels like one false step will cause a muscle to tear or ligament to snap. Then of course, there's that ice pack which inevitably hits the floor the minute I rise. Every time.
If I hobble over to the door and let the dog out, the second I get re-situated, dog #2 appears out of nowhere and hovers in front of the door. If I ignore them, they look at me with those pathetic brown eyes. How can I resist? Plus, what if they need to go? I mean really need to go. I don't want them going in the house, so I struggle over to the door, let them out, then return to torture myself on the couch.
They're content out of doors for oh, about 2.3 seconds. And mind you, it's 30-something degrees outside, so they can't possibly be left out there. Right? Nevermind the fact they have thick fur coats. So up I get again. Back to the door, ice to the floor, and let the dogs in. We do this over and over again. Why is it dogs are always on the wrong side of the door?
Finally they settle in and begin to entertain themselves. I get wrapped in ice once again. The numbing begins to have this great effect on my sore limbs. I feel no pain. I'm relaxed and beginning to appreciate this barbaric treatment, when damn, nature calls. Of course. I'm up again, my movement stirs the dogs, and back to the door they go. And so the vicious cycle begins... again.
They recommend 20 minutes every 2 hours, so at this rate, I'll be finished at a quarter to next Thursday. Perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment