Thursday, February 14, 2008
V-Day
A term often used to commemorate military victories and more recently associated with a movement to end violence against women has the great fortune, or misfortune, of representing the day much hated by single women everywhere. So much for that movement to end violence. Valentine's Day is just that... emotional violence against women. I'm not so sure it limits its ill effects to just singles, but this is merely speculation. I declare that I am in fact one of those victimized singles. Even though I have been dating someone for four months now, V-Day has managed to make me an emotional basket case once again. I have a tendency in relationships to steer the ship, keep things moving, always doing the calling or suggesting. As my Dr. Phil-esque friends would say, not allowing the guy to pursue me. This is the exact behavior that led to my first real heartbreak, which still haunts me to this day. I've learned to recognize this pattern, and as soon as I feel as though I'm not being met half way, I start to pull away. Self-preservation I call it. That brings me back to today. I have spoken to said guy, specifically not called my boyfriend, once this week (it is Thursday am). There has been no mention of V-day. And so, the drama of the day will now begin to unfold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment